Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Have You Ever Hated An Actor Because Of A Role?




Have you ever watched a film in which an actor or actress played an antagonist role so well, you literally hate them for it?

For example, I absolutely hate Sally Field. I was so enraged with her character in Mrs. Doubtfire, that it has tainted my perception of any future work she has done. While I loved her work in Sybil, Forrest Gump, and Smokey and the Bandit, I find these films difficult to watch when she's on screen, simply because I now see her roles through Mrs. Doubtfire-colored glasses. From what I know of the woman, she's a decent human being, and is a generous person. Still, my anger at her character has forever changed my enjoyment of her as a performer.

Before anyone accuses me of being too harsh, and that I should "let it go", I ask only if the opposite is true. Have you ever become so enamored with a performance that you just "love" a particular actor or actress? Has someone put in such a good performance as a protagonist that you find yourself loving this actor or actress through that film's colored glasses? Is that fair to do?

It might just be a hallmark of a great actor/actress who can play a role so well, that they garner such a passionate response. I'm sure Sally Field will go on to continued success without me seeing her films. And I acknowledge that she's most likely a decent human being. But ever since her portrayal in Mrs. Doubtfire, I just hate her guts.

Am I alone? I wonder if anyone else has hated, or loved an actor/actress based solely one a single role they have played. I know one friend who despises Ben Afleck for his role in Mallrats. I guess his portrayal of the proprietor of the Fashionable Male hit too close to home for him. 




No comments:

Post a Comment